Turfside Dining Room
COVID-19 Policies & Procedures
As the Fort Erie Live Racing Consortium navigates the complexities of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, we are aware that the safety and welfare of our horses is a priority. As outlined by the Government of Ontario’s list of essential services, the stable area backstretch at Fort Erie Race Track is considered essential. We know that horses cannot be abandoned and need a safe place to be cared for, and for this reason, we intend to open our backstretch as planned on April 12, 2020. In order to do so, we have put strict measures in place to enforce the safety of our staff and horsepeople, and to help stop the spread of COVID-19 while we continue to care for our thoroughbreds.
Please read the FELRC COVID-19 Policy and Procedure manual, Updated May 22, 2020, attached here. Prior to entering the backstretch all persons will be required to acknowledge that they have read, understand and will abide by these policies, including the Government of Canada’s mandatory 14-day self isolation period for any person returning to Canada.
Please also read the COVID-19 Race Day Policies and Procedures, approved May 22, 2020.
BACKSTRETCH INFORMATION GUIDE FOR HORSEPEOPLE
We have assembled an information guide for horsepeople, providing more details about what to expect and how the backstretch will operate with the new COVID-19 policies in place during the 2020 season. Please note that Masks are now mandatory at all times while in the backstretch, and on race days. Thank you to everyone for following the updated procedures. The guide is available here.
Owners guide for Race Day Attendance
Fort Erie Race Track will allow a limited number of people with an AGCO license to attend on race days. Under provincial guidelines, a maximum of 100 people may attend. Registration is no longer required for owners, however in order to reserve a space and bring a guest, it is recommended. All attendees must follow the guidelines outlined below:
- In order to guarantee a spot for themselves, and their guest, owners should pre-register at least 24 hours before first race post time. Registration link will be available at the bottom of this page, on Fridays after the draw is complete.
- Only two people will be permitted per horse per race day. One person must be a registered AGCO owner, and present their AGCO license upon arrival.
- Owners that receive confirmation to attend can arrive beginning at 12:30pm on race days, and may remain for the whole race card.
- Upon arrival at Fort Erie Race Track, attendees will have to enter through the main entrance security gate and complete the safety screening and temperature checks. Those who do not pass the screening, or those who have a temperature above 100.5F (38C) will not be permitted.
- Please arrive in a mask. Masks must be worn at all times, except while dining or smoking.
- No children under 16 will be permitted to enter, even with a valid AGCO license.
- Tables and chairs will be set up on the Tiki Bar apron for owners. Tables and chairs cannot be moved closer together, and physical distancing will be required. The Clubhouse side of the apron will be closed.
- Owners will be permitted to travel between the paddock and the trackside apron between races, however must do so through the Racebook. Owners are not permitted to enter the walking ring or paddock, and are not permitted to sit in the Racebook.
- Winner’s Circle photos will be taken. Two owners will be permitted in the photo, along with trainer and groom, however everyone must properly wear masks and stay 6 feet apart.
- Owners will not be permitted to enter the backstretch.
- Light food and beverage service will be available for purchase at the Tiki Bar. A Mutuel Teller will also be open.
We have put increased safety measures in place, including increased cleaning frequency, additional hand sanitation stations, and are enforcing physical distancing. All attendees are reminded:
- If you, your guest or someone in your household is sick with any symptoms of COVID-19, we respectfully ask that you do not attend. Those who are ill will be turned away.
- If you have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days, you will not be permitted to enter.
- While at Fort Erie Race Track, you must wear a mask covering nose and mouth at all times.
- Please wash your hands frequently, or use hand sanitizer.
- Please remember that physical distancing of at least 6 feet from other people is required.
Registration will be available after Friday draws, and remain open until 24 hours before first race post time. During that time registration links will be available below.
Register for Monday, September 28
Registration has closed. Owners may still attend, however space is not guaranteed.
Register for Tuesday, September 29
Registration has closed. Unfortunately due to limited space, those who have not registered will not be permitted.
Prince of Wales Stakes - Closed to Spectators
PLEASE NOTE: On September 29, 2020, Prince of Wales Day, due to limited capacity Fort Erie Race Track will not be permitting AGCO licensed spectators to attend racing. Owners with horses running September 29 may request to attend with one guest by pre-registering online, however access is not guaranteed. Preference will be given to owners of horses running in the Stakes races.
Thank you for understanding, Fort Erie Race Track Management